Learn About Fundred
Draw your unique Fundred Dollar Bill, mail it to a Fundred Collection Center and be part of the solution to eliminate the devastating effects of lead-contaminated soil that currently places children at risk for severe learning disabilities and behavioral problems. This nationwide drawing project will honor the value of your action. Make a Fundred! Make a Difference!
Everyone and anyone, students, teachers, artists, parents and celebrities, are all making their own Fundred Dollar Bills–original, hand-drawn interpretations of U.S. $100 bills. The goal is to collect over 3 million of these unique artworks. This cumulative total of 300,000,000 Fundred Dollars supports the equivalent cost (in U.S. Dollars) required to make safe every lead contaminated property in New Orleans, so that every child is protected.
Completed Fundred drawings are sent to official Collection Centers to be counted and securely held!
These valuable drawings will be picked up by a special armored truck and presented to the U.S. Congress with a request for an even exchange of the creative capital–your Fundreds–for real funding to make safe lead-polluted soils in New Orleans. Once we create a lead-safe New Orleans, this innovative environmental model will be available to other lead-polluted cites.
When Will This Happen?
Fundred is an ongoing project; it is continuing through the 2012/2013 school year. We encourage your participation! There is no time like the present!
The Sous Terre Armored Truck tour began its first nationwide tour in November 2009 when the truck departed from New Orleans. After traveling 18,000 miles across the country for 117 pick-up events, the tour ended New York City on June 8, 2010.
See the pick-up schedule here for future events
Who Can Participate in Fundred?
Everyone! Children are the most affected by lead, and therefore, are at the center of this project. However, teachers, parents, administrators and community members are encouraged to contribute as well!
The Fundred Dollar Bill Project offers meaning for all participants:
- Teachers: Download lesson plans and other resources. See how other teachers have worked with the project in their classrooms.
- Service Learning: Engage as a demonstration and celebration of the power of youth voice.
- Parents: Lead poisoning affects children’s health. Your child can be part of a solution and make a difference!
- Students: Lead affects your health and the health of children everywhere. Draw a Fundred and contribute to a solution! Help make your environment healthy.
- Groups: Your school, faith-based organization, business or social group can take advantage of this community-building opportunity. Make a big difference with your creative contributions!
- Politicians: This is more than a drawing project; it is a nationwide call for your attention. Your constituents are voicing their support for Operation Paydirt through the Fundred Dollar Bill Project. See activity in your city, state, and/or district here.
- Press: This is an important local and national project of interest in the areas of art, science, health, education, environment and social activism. An armored truck, three million kids, Congressional leaders, need we say more?